Federal Skilled Worker

The Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program is for immigrants to Canada who are selected as permanent residents based on their ability to become economically established in Canada. FSW applications are assessed for eligibility according to the criteria set out below. For your application to be eligible for processing, you must:

1. Basic Skill:

At least 1 year work experience within the last 10 years and skill type (Managerial or Professional or technical occupations). OR
Have a valid offer of arranged employment. OR
Is an international student who is enrolled in a PhD program in Canada (or who graduated from a Canadian PhD program within the past 12 months).

2. Minimum IELTS Score:

    • Speaking      6.0
    • Listening       6.0
    • Reading       6.0
    • Writing         6.0

3.  Education:

Your academic qualification must be equal to a completed Canadian secondary or post-secondary educational credential.

N:B Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) by an agency approved by CIC, such as University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies or International Credential Assessment Service of Canada or International Credential Assessment Service of Canada or Medical Council of Canada for professional body) 

Eligibilities: Six Factors 

If you are eligible to apply as a federal skilled worker, we will assess you on a point system based on six selection factors.

Selection FactorMaximum points
English and/or French skills28
Arranged employment in Canada10
Pass mark: 67 out of 100 points
  • If your score is 67 points or higher out of 100, you may qualify to immigrate to Canada as a federal skilled worker.
  • If your score is lower than the pass mark of 67 points, you will not qualify to immigrate to Canada as a federal skilled worker. It is better not to apply at this time.

Descriptions of 6 Selection Factor:

1. English and/or French skills: Maximum 28 Points

First official language: IELTS

SpeakingListeningReadingWritingPointsTotal Points
7.0 – 9.08.0 – 9.07.0 – 9.07.0 – 9.0624

Second official language: French

5.0 – 9.05.0 – 9.04.0 – 9.05.0 – 9.04

2. Education: Maximum 25 Points

EducationMaximum 25 points
University degree at the Doctoral (PhD) level25 points
University degree at the Master’s level23 points
Two or more post-secondary degrees or diplomas22 points
Post-secondary degree or diploma for a program of threeyears or longer21 points
Post-secondary degree or diploma for a two-year program19 points
Post-secondary degree or diploma for a one-year program15 points
High school diploma5 points

3. ExperienceMaximum 15 Points

ExperienceMaximum 15 points
1 year9
2-3 years11
4-5 years13
6 or more years15

4. Age: Maximum 12 Points

Under 180
47 and Older0

 5. Arranged employment in Canada: Maximum 10 Points

You currently work in Canada on a temporary work permit.10
You currently work in Canada in a job that is exempt from the LMO10
You are currently working in Canada and a different employerhas offered to give you a permanent full-time job.10

6. Adaptability: Maximum 10 Points

Your spouse or partner’s language level5
Your past study in Canada5
Your spouse or partner’s past study in Canada5
Your past work in Canada10
Your spouse or common-law partner’s past work in Canada5
Arranged Employment in Canada5
Relatives in Canada5


Proof of funds:

You must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you get to Canada.

Number of
Family Members
Funds Required
(In Canadian dollars)
7 or More$29,414


Some people are not allowed to come to Canada. They are known as “inadmissible” under Canada’s immigration law.

There are many reasons we may not let you into Canada, such as:

  • You are a security risk,
  • You have committed human or international rights violations,
  • You have been convicted of a crime, or you have committed an act outside Canada that would be a crime,
  • You have ties to organized crime,
  • You have a serious health problem,
  • You have a serious financial problem,
  • You lied on your application or in an interview,
  • You do not meet the conditions in Canada’s immigration law, or
  • One of your family members is not allowed into Canada.

Necessary Documents to Open a File at SA Associates:

  1. Passport (Each member of the Family)
  2. Photo 6 Copies (Each member of the Family)
  3. Birth Certificate (Each member of the Family)
  4. Education Papers with Canadian Assessing Authority Report (only Principal Applicant)
  5. Job Experience Certificate (Only Principal Applicant)
  6. SA Application Form Fill Up